Skip to content

Yew/Yews at East Wood, Forest of Dean England

Main Picture
Copyright © Tim Hills - 2011
 1  2    >   >>> 
View Site Info
Notes: 2004 Tim Hills: Three quarters of the circumference comprises new wood flowing over the original bole. The remaining 6' consists of 3 gaps which have closed over by about 5' to create a continuous circle of growth above that height. It supports several thick branches.
Classification: ancient
Classification Codes: A-g
Girth cm: 734
Height measured: at 30cm
Girth ft ins: 24' 1'' at 1' in 2004
Sex: female
Earliest mention: 2004
Source of earliest mention: Luke Wilson
Date of visit: 02-Dec-04
Latest information: Della Hooke, author of Trees in Anglo-Saxon England writes 'TIDENHAM YEW:A boundary clause attached to a pre-Conquest charter of Tidenham, Gloucestershire, in which King Eadwig granted land there to the abbey of Bath in AD 956, notes as a landmark on the northern boundary of the estate iwdene 'yew valley' (Birch 1885-99, B 927; Sawyer 1968, S 610). A large old yew-tree, today know as 'the King`s Yew', overlooks a deeply incised valley on the eastern side of East Wood and may even be the tree which gave its name to the valley noted in the tenth-century charter'. Birch, W. de Gray, 1885-99. Cartularium Saxonicum (London). Sawyer, P. H., 1968. Anglo-Saxon Charters: An Annotated List and Bibliography London).

Search Again