Skip to content

Yew/Yews at Wilmington - Sussex England

Main Picture
Copyright © Peter Norton - 2015
 <<<   <   1   2  3   4   5   6   7    >   >>> 
View Site Info
Notes: Tim Hills 1999: There has been much debate over whether these two trunk were were once joined as a single tree, which hollowed, split and eventually separated. Both trunks are fluted and have hollow areas. In addition to the props, chains are placed around the branches to prevent further pulling apart. The trunks support a vast spreading canopy.
Classification: ancient
Classification Codes: ancient - exceptional
Girth cm: 915
Height measured:
Girth ft ins: 30' recorded in Meredith's gazetteer.
Sex: Female
Earliest mention: 1848
Source of earliest mention: A Topographical Dictionary of England
Date of visit: 07-Jul-99
Latest information: 30th Oct 2015 Peter Norton: Wilmington is one of the Saxon fortified hill villages probably settled by Aelle after 477AD. The name is derived from Wylm (cloud) ington (fortified village on a hill). It was later recorded in the Domesday Book as Wineltone. In the late 1100's a Priory was built at Wilmington by the Abbot of Grestein from Honfleur in France. The church was constructed slightly later for the local peasants to use. Whether this replaced an earlier Saxon building is not known. The large female yew grows northeast of the porch and can be viewed on Google Maps at 50.817621, 0.190771. Whether it is two trees or one that has separated over generations of growth is not known. The leaning sections are supported by various poles, some of which are too small in diameter to be of any use if the tree decided to move. A chain holds the two pieces together and so aids support, but at the same time this has allowed for distortion to take place as the branches have grown. Both boles are fluted and have hollows within them. Two young yews grow to the north of this old tree.

Search Again