Skip to content

Yew/Yews at Compton Dundon


Copyright © Peter Norton - 2014
 1 
View Tree Info
Site notes: The earliest part of the church may only be 14th century, but this site was inhabited in Saxon times. The church was first mentioned in 1291 when it passed into the ownership of Wells cathedral. The yew grows SSE of the church inside a well maintained low wall. Edmund Rack, who died in 1787, surveyed this churchyard and recorded as follows:'The church yard contains nothing worthy of note but a very old yew with a fine top; the body is hollow and measures 23ft in circumference'.
Yews recorded at this site: 1 ancient Country: England
Protection & Responsibility: OS Map No. & Grid Ref: 182/ST480325
Site type: churchyard Public access: Yes
Church name: St Andrew Lost yew site: No
Diocese: Bath and Wells Date Visited: 01-Dec-97
Nearest town: Street Recorded by: Tim Hills
County: Somerset



Search Again