Go to map Back to search

Wilmington - Sussex

Nearest town: Eastbourne

Site type: churchyard

Access: Public

Church name: St Mary and St Peter

Diocese: Chichester

County: Sussex - East

Country: England

Grid ref: TQ54410427

Lost yew site: No

Date visited: 7-Jul-99

Recorded by: Tim Hills

Protection & responsibility: Conservation Area-East Sussex CC-Wealden DC

Yews recorded at this site: Ancient 7m+

Notes: Peter Norton: Wilmington is one of the Saxon fortified hill villages probably settled by Aelle after 477AD. The name is derived from Wylm (cloud) ington (fortified village on a hill). It was later recorded in the Domesday Book as Wineltone. In the late 1100's a Priory was built at Wilmington by the Abbot of Grestein from Honfleur in France. The church was constructed slightly later for the local peasants to use. Whether this replaced an earlier Saxon building is not known. The yew grows to the north of this 12th century church.

Yew trees at Wilmington - Sussex:

Tree ID Location Photo Yews recorded Girth
851 Wilmington - Sussex Ancient 7m+ 915cm - view more info